The main functions of the department are:
• Collection removal and disposal of solid wastes including filth, rubbish and other obnoxious/ polluted matters and garbage.
• Removal and disposal of the unclaimed dead bodies and carcasses of all dead animals;
• Disposal of solid and liquid wastes consistent with efforts to cause recovery and re- use of all that can be salvaged,
• Cleansing of public streets and other public places;
• Construction, maintenance and cleansing of sewers and drains, sewerage and drainage works;
• Construction, maintenance and cleansing of public latrines, urinals and similar conveniences;
• Conversation of all service privies into sanitary latrines and providing adequate facilities for sanitation so that open defecation may be completely done away with;